Make sure to mark your calendar for the upcoming R2R Festival!
You can find below the preliminary plan to help teachers plan ahead for their field trip (subject to change):
- Elementary Program:
- Reel Focus (short films + workshop) from April 8 – 12 / 15
- Feature Focus (feature film screenings) on April 11-12 (15 – TBC)
- High School Program:
- Youth Media Conference & BTS Career Expo on April 16 (or April 8 – TBC)
- Talent Lab (feature film screenings) on April 11-12 (15 – TBC)
YOUTH JURY PROGRAM
Calling all elementary and high school students who want to be part of our Youth Jury for the 2024 R2R International Film Festival! Students can apply now to join our jury program and develop their skills as film critics, as well as foster a deeper appreciation for independent films from Canada and around the globe. We strongly encourage teachers to share this opportunity with your students! There are two Youth Juries: Junior Jury (grades 5-7) and Senior Jury (grades 8-12). To apply, students need to fill out the online form. Here is the schedule for the 2024 Youth Jury:
- January 28, 2024: FREE workshop in film criticism, which works as an introduction to the youth jury program for students to sharpen their critical eye, gain an appreciation for different film genres, and learn what makes a film great!
- February 4, 11, 25 & March 3, 2024: Two youth juries of up to 10 youth are formed to evaluate short films in competition and choose the award winners over four sessions.
- April 7-13-14-16, 2024: The juries watch the feature films in competition during the festival to deliberate and choose the award winners.
ANIMATING HISTORY WORKSHOP
Teachers, our popular Animating History will return to the Museum of Vancouver, starting January 29th through February 29th, 2024!
Animating History is an animation workshop series, where students produce a three-minute animated film with guidance from a museum interpreter, a professional animator, and a volunteer. Students participate in all aspects of production: story-boarding, character and background creation, camerawork, and sound. Stories include Vancouver Fire, 1907 Anti-Asian Riots, and Japanese Canadian Internment.
YOUTH FILMMAKERS SHOWCASE
Calling young BC filmmakers! Show us what you can do with a camera and imagination. Your film may be selected to be screened during the 2024 R2R Film Festival, where you will be invited for the screening and could win great filmmaking prizes!
The YFS will be available as part of R2R festival 2024, for a public in-person screening and awards ceremony at the VIFF Centre Theatre. You have until February 19, 2023 to submit your film to our website!