Behind the Scenes Expo 2024
WHAT: The Behind the Scenes Expo is part of R2R’s annual Youth Media Conference for High School students. This unique day of programming includes a film screening that focuses on the craft of filmmaking, a panel discussion with experts relevant to the selected film, and a career fair. It aims to excite young people about film and opportunities in BC’s creative industries. For an idea of what to expect, please check out YMC 2023.
WHERE: Roundhouse Community Centre (Yaletown), in the Exhibition hall (7,800 sq ft)
WHEN: Friday, April 12, 2024 11:30AM- 2:45PM
11:30/45 am – Set up
12:30 pm – BTS Expo opens (students will take a snack break between the panel discussion and the Expo)
2:30 pm – BTS Expo closes and tear down
COST: $50 per organization. The small fee includes one table for each organization for the day + description of your organization and logo presence on our website and event flyer/map and the opportunity to engage young potential talents. Alternatively, to waive this cost, you can sponsor our Youth Filmmakers Showcase by making a prize donation. Please contact office[at]r2rfestival.org if you’re interested, we reserve the right to confirm or not based on the relevance of the suggested donation.
TO APPLY: FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW and we will contact you with our answer.
How It Works:
Upon arrival, students receive a map and passport with your logo and a brief description about your organization. When they visit your booth and meaningfully engage with you, offer them a stamp on their passport. The goal for each student is to fully complete their passport and interact with each exhibitor. When complete, their passport is entered in a raffle to win prizes donated by participating organizations.
Successful applicants receive:
- The opportunity to engage students one-on-one and pitch your company/organization
- Access to one 4×19 folding table and chairs (we recommend bringing your own table cloth and any booth decoration is the responsibility of the applicant)
- The Exhibition Hall is a large space (approximately 7,800 ft) for a capacity of max. 400 people. We encourage to bring any equipment to allow more interaction with the students for demos
- WIFI connection will be available at the Roundhouse
- Access to electrical outlets with power bar/extension cord. Bring your own if more are needed
- Instructions and materials for the students’ passport system
What we ask from you:
- Please provide a clear description of your organization in the form
- Please provide a print quality logo of your organization (300 dpi or greater)
On the day…
- Arrive with visually attractive displays, such as: signage, floor banners, brochures, gear and equipment to make the experience interactive and exciting for the students!
- Be ready to talk to the students and describe what your organization offers that others don’t
- Explain the skill sets required for a career in your area of the industry
- Have suggestions for how students can prepare for a career in your specialized field
- At least one person from each organization must cover your booth at all times during the expo
- Bring a special swag item from your organization to donate toward the raffle for students with completed passports
Organization who participated in 2023:
Post Secondary Education – UBC, Emily Carr University, Langara College, SFU, Vancouver Film School, InFocus School
VFX Studios / Video Games – DNEG, Image Engine, Industrial Light and Magic, Barnstorm VFX, Blackbird Interactive
Animation Studios – Atomic Cartoons, Animal Logic, Mainframe Studios, Cinesite
Guilds, Unions, Resources – Creative BC, Cineworks, DGC BC, IATSE 669, IATSE 891, NFB, Telefilm Canada
Reel 2 Real
International Film Festival for Youth
225 West 8th Ave. Vancouver, BC V5Y 1N3
© Copyright 1998-2020 Reel 2 Real: A Celebration of Moving Images for Youth Society. All Rights Reserved.