Behind the Scenes Expo 2023
WHAT: The Behind the Scenes Expo is part of R2R’s annual Youth Media Conference for High School students. This unique day of programming includes a film screening that focuses on the craft of filmmaking, a panel discussion with experts relevant to the selected film, and a career fair. It aims at exciting young people for a return to experiences of cinema-going and opportunities in BC’s creative industries. To give you an idea, check out the program of the YMC 2022.
WHERE: Roundhouse Community Centre (181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2W3), in the Exhibition hall (7,800 sq ft)
WHEN: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 11:00AM- 2:30PM
11:15 am – Set up
12 pm – BTS Expo opens (students will take a snack break between the panel discussion and the Expo)
2:30 pm – BTS Expo closes and tear down
COST: $50 per organization. The small fee includes one table for each organization for the day + description of your organization and logo presence on our website and event flyer/map and the opportunity to engage young potential talents. Alternatively, to waive this cost, you can sponsor an event of the festival, such as the Youth Filmmakers Showcase. Please contact office[at]r2rfestival.org if you’re interested, we reserve the right to confirm or not based on the relevance of the suggested donation.
TO APPLY: FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW and we will contact you with our answer.
How It Works:
When students arrive at the Expo they receive a map and passport with your logo and a brief description about your organization. When a student visits your booth and meaningfully engages with you, offer them a stamp on their passport. The system for the map and stamp might be digital or paper. The goal for each student is to fully complete their passport and interact interact each exhibitor. When complete, their passport is entered in a raffle to win prizes donated by participating organizations.
Successful applicants receive:
- The opportunity to engage students one-on-one and pitch your company/organization
- Access to one 4×19 folding table and 2-4 chairs (we recommend bringing your own table cloth and any booth decoration is the responsibility of the applicant)
- The Exhibition Hall is a large space (approximately 7,800 ft) for a capacity of max. 400 people. We encourage to bring any equipment to allow more interaction with the students for demos
- WIFI connection will be available at the Roundhouse
- Access to electrical outlets with power bar/extension cord. Bring your own if more are needed
- Instructions and materials for the students’ passport system
What we ask from you:
- Please provide a clear description of your organization in the form
- Please provide a print quality logo of your organization (300 dpi or greater)
On the day…
- Arrive with visually attractive displays, such as: signage, floor banners, brochures, marketing materials, gear and equipment (we are open to suggestions to make the experience interactive and exciting for the students!)
- Be ready to talk to the students and describe what your organization offers that others don’t
- Explain the skill sets required for a career in your area of the industry
- Have suggestions for how students can prepare for a career in your specialized field
- At least one person from each organization must cover your booth at all times during the expo
- Bring a special swag item from your organization to donate toward the raffle for students with completed passports. Ideally, the item(s) is different from the free swag given to all students.
Organization who participated in 2022:
Post Secondary Education – UBC, Emily Carr University, Langara College, SFU, Vancouver Film School
VFX Studios – DNeg, Industrial Light and Magic, Barnstorm VFX
Animation Studios – Atomic Cartoons, Animal Logic, Mainframe Studios, Cinesite, Slap Happy Cartoons
Guilds, Unions, Resources – Creative BC, Cineworks, DGC BC, IATSE 669, IATSE 891
Reel 2 Real
International Film Festival for Youth
225 West 8th Ave. Vancouver, BC V5Y 1N3
© Copyright 1998-2020 Reel 2 Real: A Celebration of Moving Images for Youth Society. All Rights Reserved.